• Vintage: Cuvée d’Exception Lucullus
• Designation of origin: Sainte Foy Bordeaux
• Terroir: Clay-limestone
• Grape variety: 80% merlot - 20% cabernet franc
• Vinification/maturation: Vinification in 65 hectoliter wooden vats. Malolactic fermentation in barrels. Maturation in barrels for 12 to 15 months.
• Age of the vines: 20 to 25 years
• Yield: 30 hectoliters per hectare
• Aging potential: 20+ years
• Serving temperature: 16-17 degrees Celsius
• Food pairings: Red meats, semi-dry cheeses, gourmet cooking
Lucullus is the Château Hostens-Picant’s Cuvée d’Exception. It is produced with the greatest care and attention to detail. The vines are grown on the vineyard’s best clay-soil plots. It is available in many places of excellence and distinction.
The robe of this Lucullus 2015 is dark almost black!
From the opening, the bouquet is shimmering, with aromas of plums, mocha and licorice.
After a light aeration, notes of spices accompany the black olives and blackberry.
In the mouth, all the solar power of the vintage is there with a fleshy attack, a middle mouth full and dense.
But the magic of this limestone plateau appears in its second part of mouth with an almost interminable mineral finish.
The aging potential of this vintage is around twenty years.